Business Visa

The first step to start your own business in Japan: Business Manager Visa


Some people from overseas seek a chance to open their company in Japan.

But, wait for a moment!

Everybody has to prepare very carefully when trying to start a business.

In this post, we’ll talk about what you need to know when you open your company.

Five Million Yen

First of all, please check the description on your residence card (Zairyu Card) when you've decided to open your company.


If there are any work restrictions on your residence card as listed below, you must change your status of residence to a Business Manager (also known as “Business Manager Visa”).

就労不可 Not Permitted
就労資格に基づく就労活動のみ可  Only employment activities are permitted based on the Authorization for Employment

If your status is "No Restrictions on Work (就労制限なし)", it is not mandatory to get a Business Manager Visa.

It’s not easy for anyone to open your company and acquire a Business Manager Visa because it's necessary to prepare 5 million yen or more as a stated capital.

Besides, it’s necessary for you to acquire other necessary licenses and submit your business plan to the Immigration Bureau. 

On the other hand, if there are no work restrictions on your residence card, you can open your company even if the stated capital is only one yen.

Status with no work restrictions

Here is a list of status of residence with no work restrictions.

  • Permanent Resident (Eijusha)
  • Spouse or Child of Japanese National
  • Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident
  • Long-term Resident (Teijusha)

Please check your residence card again, when you think about your business plan.

Please feel free to contact us anytime you need our support.

Asakusa Legal Support


-Business, Visa

Copyright© Asakusa Legal Support , 2024 All Rights Reserved.